Friday, September 5, 2008

Potty Training....grrrrrrrr

I really wasn't stressed about potty training Dylan. From what I had seen with other boys, they just need more time, and it's best to just wait until they are ready. So I was enthused about a month and a half ago when he initiated the whole process himself. Within a short period of time he was using the potty for #1 almost all the time. He really never did get the hang of #2 whether he was in pull-ups or underwear, so I kept him in pull-ups to avoid the mess. It pretty much all went down hill when we moved into the new house. Now I'm lucky if I can get him to use the potty once a day. I don't know if it was the move, if I got lazy, if he got lazy, I'm really not sure, but it bums me out. Today I re-vamped my efforts, made a new sticker chart for #1 successes, and bought 99 cent store prizes for #2. I decided this morning after he went in his diaper a few times that I would just take his diaper off and let him wear nothing on the bottom, because I think he is aware of it, he just knows nothing will happen if he goes in a diaper. So this worked while we were at home. When he got up from his nap I took his diaper off again, but then he wanted to go outside and ride his trike so I put cotton training pants on him, and explained that they weren't a diaper and he needed to come inside if he had to go. He was out there for all of 3 minutes when I noticed he looked wet, so I made him come inside and he had pooped and peed in his underwear!! The funny thing is that I wouldn't even be worried about it if he hadn't started the whole thing and been doing so well. It made me feel like he was capable of doing it, so therefore I should do everything I can to push him in the right direction. I've always read that if they are resisting you should just back off, otherwise they will resent the whole thing. But now I feel like he is getting kind of old so I don't know what to do. Any advice?? Help!!

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

No fun!! To be honest, that's the main reason I don't want a boy. I dread potty training one! Good luck! Oh and when do you find out the sex??

Katie said...

ugg Genny! Best of luck to you-we haven't even started thinking about that yet!