Tuesday, February 3, 2009
My "fun" trip to labor and delivery
So yesterday I had a doctors appointment; they took my blood pressure right away and I saw that it was 148/98 which is high for me (I think for anyone). So they hook me up to the monitor and I told the nurse I had been having some contractions since the night before and I was feeling some pressure in my pelvis. I'm laying there on the monitor and the baby is going nuts, not just little kicking, like rolling and twisting and doing who knows what. I didn't have a contraction while I was on the monitor but the nurse got the doctor to check my cervix anyway. First he came in and told me since my blood pressure was so high he needed to send me to the hospital so that they could run tests for pregnancy induced hypertension. He said if I had it they would have to induce labor, but I didn't have any of the other symptoms so they would most likely run the tests and send me home. I thought it was dumb that they wouldn't check my blood pressure again before I left the office. Then he checked my cervix and said he couldn't even feel the baby's head in my pelvis and that he might even be transverse. When I got up and walked out I wasn't feeling the same pressure that I did when I walked in. I'm still not sure what happened, but I'm wondering if there was a chance that he could have moved that much while I was laying there. So I met Kev at my Moms to drop of Dylan and we headed to the hospital. They hooked me up to the monitors in Triage and immediately my blood pressure was normal (I knew that would happen!). I still had to wait for the labs which they thought would take an hour, well it was 4 hours before I got out of there. All the labs were normal except my platelet count was a little low. Platelets are what make your blood clot and I had been worried about this for this pregnancy because when I delivered Dylan it took a long time for the doctor to stop the bleeding and then I ended up severely anemic afterwards. I am going back to the doctor tomorrow and they will probably be sending me for more labs to check my levels again. All in all, it was not a pleasant way to spend Kev's day off, but it's good that this has been brought to my doctors attention so that he is aware of it when I deliver. I will update with anything new as it happens!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow Genny! Almost there-praying for you :)
Post a Comment