
It has been about a month since Kevin and I joined a gym and started making a real effort in changing the way that we eat and live. We both have struggled with food issues and therefore weight issues our entire teenage and adult lives. I can't speak for him but I struggle with overeating, emotional eating, and unhealthy eating. We have been on diets so many times only to lose 10, 25, even 50 pounds and then fall off the wagon. It is getting old, really really old. So we decided to make a real lifestyle change, these are some of our goals:
- no "dieting". I am a fan of weight watchers, but we somehow figure out a way to eat unhealthily even on the program. Plus the idea of a diet indicates that you can eventually stop the diet and go back to the way you were before, we all know this is not true!
- simplify our diet: more fruits and veggies, less processed food, etc.
- don't eat if your not hungry! This is a big one for us.
- little to no fast food: better choices when we do eat out.
- exercise regularly! Before this Kevin was playing hockey one day a week and I was doing nothing for exercise.
At first I was weighing myself almost everyday which was really discouraging because it was just fluctuating too much. So I decided to put the scale away and only weigh in once a month. Obviously, we want and need to lose weight, but this is not our ultimate goal and I don't want it to rule over everything we do.
It is scary for me to put this all out there, but I really want to be held accountable and I would also love to hear from those of you that have this fitness thing all figured out. I am also going to start posting my weekly exercise routine so that I can make sure that I am living up to my goals. Oh, and please if you are thinking about it, pray for us!
2 comments:
So awesome Genny! You've been inspiring me to be a healthier person! I'm going to start the couch to 5K program (tomorrow I'm hoping)...
Love it! You're so right. Diets never work. It's a lifestyle change that lasts and unfortunately, it takes a little time to create a new habit. So impressed with your determination and progress! We are teaching our children how to live healthier by taking care of the temple God gave us.
Post a Comment