
I can't believe that Dylan will be starting kindergarten in 25 days! It just doesn't seem like I could possibly have a 5 year old! I don't know about any of you, but sometimes I feel like I am still playing house. When did I grow up, get married, have kids, and become responsible?!? All kidding aside, I LOVE my life and my kids and this is exactly how I always wanted my life to be. I am so thankful to God for all that He has given to our family and to Kevin for how hard he works to provide so much for us.
I have given a lot of thought over the last year or so about all the schooling options. Honestly I had never given much thought to homeschooling before, if anything I thought that it was kind of odd and something I would never do. However, I have gotten to know quite a few families who homeschool and I can now see it's value and how it can be the best option depending on the needs of your children, your families beliefs and values, and your own temperment (as the teacher). That being said, I don't feel like it is the best choice for us at this time. Now, if Dylan, or any of my other children on down the road, were not thriving in school I would definitely reconsider. I completely and totally expect Dylan to thrive in school.
There are also other reasons that Kevin and I have always wanted to put our kids in public school, and for awhile there I was starting to feel really alone until I came across this blog entry the other day. It is from the author of http://homewiththeboys.net: She is a Christian stay at home Mom of two boys, similar to Ethan and Dylan's age. She just articulated everything I have been feeling so well so I am just going to quote her:
"We are sending our children to public school.
Now, let me take a second to say that I have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING against homeschooling or private school. School decisions are very personal and specific to each family and I see the advantages in each realm of education.
I can only speak to what we feel God is leading US to do with OUR children.
So why public school for our kiddos?
There are a few reasons, but it really boils down to two:
#1 - We are all called to be a light in the darkness, the salt of the earth, a witness to Jesus Christ and the Good News. In my experience, there is no atmosphere quite like the public school system for our children to live out this calling. I'm not asking for my children to be overly outspoken evangelists, but I do pray that they will be prepared to have an answer for their faith (1 Peter 3:15) and that they will know the joy of God using them to further His Kingdom.
#2 - Our children will have to encounter the world and its influences at some point. While we want to shelter them from everything possible, we also want these first encounters with the world to occur while we are able to walk them through it. To teach them that we are in the world, but not of it. To be sounding board as they discover the real manifestations of evil in this world and decide how they will respond as a follower of Christ.
Are there reasons to homeschool? Yes.
Are there reasons to send your kids to private school? Yes.
But God calls each of us in different ways, and I pray He will protect and bless our family as we walk in what He is asking us to do.
Amen Sista! :-)
So, I am so excited for Dylan to start school and I look forward to working with him and helping him through every stage. I look forward to seeing the lives that he can impact for the Kingdom of God. I look forward to praying for him and walking with him and helping him to shine with the Love of God. Matthew 5:14-16 says:
You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither
do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its
stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your
light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father
in heaven.
3 comments:
Ahhhh. Love this post! I totally agree with all the comments. When we moved back here a couple of years ago, I was shocked by the number of families that homeschool. It has taken me that entire amount of time to come to terms with what I want for my own family and feel confident we are doing what is right for us.
Great post Genny! Thank you!
Thanks Ladies, glad to know that I have company :-)
Post a Comment